Monday, August 25, 2008

Imagine No Religion

I don't post in several months and now two in one day...but this story was too good to pass up, given what I wrote about earlier. The Freedom From Religion Foundation is putting up five billboards across Phoenix. They range in messages from, "Imagine No Religion," "Beware of Dogma," and "Keep Religion OUT of Politics." Below is an example.

I will likely pass by at least two of them given my frequent trips to the state Capitol. Perhaps I will stop and get a picture. I don't know why the John Lennon song (blatantly ripped off for the sign above) is referred to as such an inspiring song. A few months ago, I touched on this depressing tune in a previous post (Imagine No Heaven). Obviously, countries without religion have been so successful that we need to replicate their efforts (North Korea, the U.S.S.R., etc.). While China has managed recent economic growth, I doubt the political prisoners arrested for owning a Bible would be willing to give an enthusiastic thumbs up to their country's brutal regime.

John Lennon's song conjures up a supposed utopia where there is no war and the people live for today. Removal of religion is a cornerstone to this utopia. I will be the first to say that countries founded by Christians utilizing Christian values and thought have not been perfect. But the freedom provided by these nations have provided an environment for growth in science and human dignity like the world has never seen. We will not see a utopia on this side of eternity. However, this does not mean we should stop efforts to stamp out injustices. That being said, getting rid of religion from American life is not and never will be the answer.

No comments: